This week’s email is a day earlier than normal, and there will be no commentary today, as I am attending Natural Products Expo West. The convention center floor opens tomorrow, but today is the Hemp & CBD Summit and Climate Day.
I’ll be posting plenty of Instagram Stories from Expo West, so please follow me (@livingmaxwell) if you’re unable to attend the show.
In next week’s Organic Insider, I will have a full recap of what took place and key trends that I saw in Anaheim.
Max Goldberg, Editorlivingmaxwell
The material in this newsletter is copyrighted and may be reprinted by permission only. All requests must be in writing. Please use our contact form to request republication rights.
Want your product profiled here? Learn more
In a historic milestone, Once Upon a Farm has become the first refrigerated brand of organic baby food approved for Women, Infant, Children Program (WIC)-eligible families in West Virginia and Florida.
A federal judge has decided that the Organic Trade Association's lawsuit against the USDA - over its withdrawal of the new organic livestock and poultry rule - can proceed.
In a bid to save its critically important Biscayne Bay, Miami has banned the super-toxic weedkiller glyphosate, something that other Florida cities have already done.
General Mills continues to show incredible leadership in soil and biodiversity, as it has committed to advance regenerative agriculture practices on one million acres of farmland by 2030. The company also donated $650,000 to non-profit Kiss the Ground, which will support farmer training and coaching through Soil Health Academies.
Researchers at Cal-Berkeley believe that genetically-engineered cannabinoids, produced via synthetic biology, will be available to medical specialists within a year.
Moringa superfood company has raised $5M from Kellogg's venture capital fund eighteen94 capital and Griffith Foods, and it intends to enter the foodservice space as a supplier of this super-hot ingredient.
A great profile of Suja and its CEO Jeff Church, as the company's investment in infrastructure gives it tremendous agility to roll out new products and expand into different categories.
The former Co-CEO of Whole Foods has invested in and joined the board of New Barn Organics, a fast-growing, organic plant-based food company.
Clif Bar's CLIF Second Responder Fund, a fund that helps communities recover from natural disasters, will earmark its first $1.5 million to the Butte Humane Society, which was impacted by the California Camp Fire.
* A judge dismissed a defamation lawsuit brought by University of Florida professor and Monsanto advocate Kevin Folta against a Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times reporter.
* Congrats to organic orange juice leader Uncle Matt’s for celebrating 20 years of business.
* Organic drinkable soup company ZÜPA NOMA has rebranded as Medlie.
* As Politico reported, the PR campaign for gene-edited foods has begun.
* In an email yesterday from Ashtanga yoga guru Eddie Stern, he will be opening up a new studio and vegan restaurant in Manhattan next year with Juice Press founder Marcus Antebi.
* After 11 years, Elizabeth Candelario has stepped down as president of Demeter USA. She will be very missed.
* My apologies to Tradin Organic for the misspelling of its name in last week’s newsletter. Hendrik Rabbie and his team are good friends of Organic Insider, and if you ever have any organic ingredient needs, be sure to send them an email.